Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquake


Yesterday while I was at work we had a pretty huge earthquake hit the Northern Virginia area. It was a 5.8 and it really shook me up. I was on the ninth floor of my building and thought someone was running through the building but than it wouldn't stop. We were all shocked and held on as the building swayed back and forth like a wave. Immediately I thought of my children, Alexis and Ben. I wanted more then anything to get to them quickly. I shook some of the shock off, told my co-workers as we were being evacuated from the building that I was heading out to get my babies.

I prayed my entire way there. People were already leaving. Some weren't paying attention to the roads. I just wanted my children home safe and sound with me. I didn't care about anything else. The phone lines were jammed but I was able to leave a voice mail with Ben's Dad that I was getting the kids and to meet me at home.

I got into the building and saw my Ben first. He was waking up from his nap and the kids were all a bit awake. The teachers were shaken. Miss Sabrina informed me that she told the kids (after she composed herself) that she played a magic trick and made the building shake. She was trying to make light of the situation as all the kids were quite afraid. I wished both her and Alexis' teachers well, scooped up my children and headed home.

On the way, I asked Ben what he thought of the earthquake. His recollection was this.

"Mommy the walls were shaking. Sabrina was not so happy. It was scary. I didn't like her magic trick. We need to go to a new school."

His story touched me and at that moment I wished that I had been there with him when it happened. I really was sorry I wasn't there to comfort him but he was okay. The children were fine. We got home just fine.

Ben's Dad was home cleaning up the mess from a broken water heater that had left an inch of water in most of our basement over the weekend. He knew that I was heading home and getting the kid, so he waited for us. He had no idea it was an earthquake as he felt the movement but thought something perhaps broke again in our money pit of a home.

The family is safe. No one is hurt and thankfully nothing is broken. We all experienced our first earthquake and I hope that will be the last earthquake experience.

What a crazy Tuesday!

Ben was also mentioned in a Patch.com article about his experience in the article pictured above!


No comments: