Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Short Stories


Ben is quite the character in our house. He is an energetic little boy but certainly one of the sweetest little guys I've ever known. He is also doing fantastic with his sister. I have never seen a child take to another sibling like does. He loves Alexis and Alexis certainly smiles and giggles quite often when she sees her brother in her sights. This post is sporadic at best, but this blog is all about Ben, so I wanted to include a few short stories about my little guy.

  • I love musicals and recently introduced Ben to the movie Annie. I was thrilled he liked it too! I was even more touched when I heard Ben go into the kitchen while his Dad was cooking and serenade his Dad by singing, "Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow...". I was shocked but extremely touched as was his Dad.
  • On July 3rd Alexis had her naming at church. While Father John asked both James and I to make the sign of the cross on Alexis, Ben got into the action and also blessed his sister. We were all delighted to see that interaction between them. What a great brother!
  • Ben came downstairs the other day without his underwear on. He looked at his naked butt and asked, "where did my underwear go?" I asked him if he was having a rough day and quite perplexed he said, "yeah my underwear went somewhere". Poor guy!
  • Ben's usual routine during the work week is coming into his parents room and snuggling in our bed while watching cartoons as his Dad gets ready. James asked him what he wanted and he told him, "the boy with three girls". James had NO clue what this meant and asked him if remembered the show or if he remembered a part of the story so he could perhaps figure out what Ben was asking for. Ben then said, "Grandma with her boobies on fire". James got it, Mrs. Doubtfire.
  • The day after he watched Mrs. Doubtfire, he asked my Mom (since he figured out she was a Grandma and this could only apparently happen to Grandma's) if her boobs could spontaneously bust into flames. My Mom had no clue what he was asking (although quite amused) until I elaborated on that one. Oh my!
  • Ben was looking at his arms one day and asked me, "Mommy why am I not brown?" I was honestly not expecting that question! My son wanted to be black. I can see it as one of his best friends is black and his teacher who he adores is also black. I told him that God made us all unique in our own awesome way and thats why he is not brown. He still wanted to be brown. Sorry kid.
  • Ben asked another question the other day on how he was made. I didn't think I'd get that question already either. I gave him the four year old appropriate response of, "You were made with Mommy and Daddy's love with God's grace." He thankfully accepted that.

No comments: